Photographs of Potto Station Buildings
Potto Station soon after opening 1857
When Potto Station opened in 1857, the house consisted a single downstairs room and an attic with two small bedrooms. The Booking Office and Waiting Room were constructed in the second downstairs room with a partition wall dividing the Office from the Waiting room. The station clock was built into the Booking Office. In 1872 a new Waiting Room and Booking Office were built as a single storey extention along the down platform as can be seen in the photograph below.
Taken soon after the construction of the new single storey Waiting Room and Booking Office in 1872
In 1883 the entire roof of the house was raised making it possible to add a second storey to the Waiting Room constructed in 1872. At the same time a new single storey Booking Office and Ladies Waiting Room were added and the existing Booking Office was converted to a General Waiting Room. The full extent of the transformation of the house and station buildings can be seen in the photograph below.
Photo of Potto Station after the 'Raising of the Roof' and the constuction of the new Booking Office and Ladies Waiting room
A flush toilet was added for the Ladies Waiting room and such was it's popularity, a 'penny in the slot' machine was added. This is still in place today.
The original 'Spend a Penny' Ladies Waiting Room from 1883 - still in use today
A hand coloured postcard of Potto Station posted in 1906
A tiled map of the area showing the Picton - Whitby line (from Middlesbrough Station)
Potto Station - 1857 Ordnance Survey Map - Just after opening
When the line was built in 1857 it was only single track from Picton to Stokesley although land had been purchased so that it could be converted to two lines.
Potto Station - 1914 Ordnance Survey Map
Potto Station Track Plan - 20 July 1909
Potto Station - Looking East circa 1920
Potto Station - Taken the same day looking West
Potto Station - circa 1910
Potto Station Brick Store Plans - dated 1953
After the station had closed - Taken on 9th July 1959
Looking East in 1961 - a demolition train can be seen in the background lifting the track - Photo Alan Brown
Looking West in 1961 - just before the track was lifted. Photo Alan Brown
Looking East in 1961 - just after the track was lifted. Photo Alan Brown
The platform soon after closure c. 1960 - all of the lamps and signs are missing
After being empty for several years, the station was bought by former Picton signalman, Bill Mead - Taken 6 Sep 1967
The Station House in 1974 - Photo Nigel Mundy
The Station House on 16th September 1980
The Station House on 26th May 1986
The Station House in the Spring of 1989 - Photo Mike Whitlock
The Station House in February 2002 - Photo Mike Whitlock